To date, online sports betting is legal in 33 states and the District of Columbia. While there are safeguards in place to ensure that those engaged are over 21, we know that teen sports fans might be interested to learn more about these new online tools. Due to new easy-to-use online sports betting apps, researchers and clinicians are finding that:
- the age of patients seeking treatment for gambling addiction is trending younger
- patients are reaching the breaking point, the moment when they realize they need help, sooner
It is important for the adults to have proactive conversations with their teens about gambling and the warning signs of a gambling problem. These include:
- Feeling distracted by thoughts of bets even when you should be focused on something else.
- Lying about or hiding the extent – how much or how often – to which you are betting.
- Choosing to research bets, place bets, or follow the contest the bet is placed on over engaging in activities that used to be a priority or passion.