Note: This pledge is mainly for younger children. Teens and pre-teens should use the teens’ pledge. Also note that this “pledge” is really designed as a conversation starter and certainly could be adapted to suit your family.
- I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.
- I will tell my parents right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will never agree to get together with someone I “meet” online without first checking with my parents. If my parents agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring a parent or other trusted adult.
- I will go online or play video games when my parents say it’s OK and limit my online time so that it doesn’t interfere with chores, homework or other activities.
- I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do, I will tell my parents right away.
- I will talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for going online. We will decide upon the time of day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online, and the appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission.
- I will not give out my passwords to anyone (even my best friends) other than my parents.
- I will check with my parents before downloading or installing software or apps or doing anything that could possibly hurt our devices or jeopardize my family’s privacy.
- I will be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people or is against the law or my school’s rules.
- I will help my parents understand how to have fun and learn things online and teach them things about the internet, computers and other technology.
I agree to the above.
I will help my child follow this agreement and will allow reasonable use of the internet as long as these rules and other family rules are followed.
(rev 5/2018) ConnectSafely.org